Skip Navigation
When a Building Permit is Required

If your project is inside the city limits, within a subdivision created after 2006, OR in the City’s ETJ within a subdivision with a Development Agreement - is new construction or renovation where there are structural, mechanical (HVAC), electrical, plumbing or irrigation changes and/ or upgrades, and finally site improvements – you will need a building permit.
  • STRUCTURAL changes include creating openings, re-framing walls / roofs, or changes that affect the ‘bones’ of the structure. (i.e. load bearing walls)
  • MECHANICAL alterations and upgrades are those that add, extend, upgrade or change the core heating / ventilation and air conditioning equipment or system such as installing a new system, replacing components, replacing the entire unit, and adding coverage. Permits are not required for replacing vents, duct work, or for maintenance.
  • ELECTRICAL alterations and upgrades are those that extend, upgrade or change the core electrical system, such as adding, upgrading, replacing or relocating circuit panels, breakers, outlets, junction boxes, and fixture locations. Permits are not required for replacing fixtures and switches.
  • PLUMBING alterations and upgrades are those that extend, upgrade or change the core plumbing system, such as adding, extending, upgrading, or relocating drains, sinks, tubs, toilets and water lines. Permits are not required for replacing fixtures and hoses outside of walls.
  • IRRIGATION alterations and upgrades are those that extend, upgrade or change the core irrigation (sprinkler) system, such as adding, extending, upgrading or relocating heads, lines and valves. Permits are not required for replacing sprinkler heads and repairing existing lines.
  • miscellaneous work requiring a permit also includes: swimming pools

How it Works:

The City of Dripping Springs uses Bureau Veritas, a third-party company, to review and ensure project plans meet or exceed all applicable building codes and City adopted Ordinances. As a project progresses into the construction phase, Bureau Veritas will perform field inspections to ensure the project is built/installed in compliance with building and City codes. This process helps ensure your safety and the safety of those who live on the property. The permit process takes about 30 days for new, ground-up construction. Meanwhile alteration and upgrade permits typically take two weeks or less to issue.

For more information on what’s required to get a building permit, please email our Building Permit Technician:

MyPermitNow Customer Portal Instructions

What types of Permits are issued?:

  • Building
  • Mechanical
  • Electrical
  • Plumbing
  • Irrigation
  • Accessory Buildings
  • Swimming Pools
  • Driveway
  • Roofing
  • Demolition

Other projects facilitated by the building department:

  • Certificate of Occupancy
  • Pool Encroachment Variances
  • All Fire Safety Submittals

Home Owners
As the home owner can I pull my own permits?

A Homestead Exemption permit may be issued to non-licensed individuals to perform plumbing, electrical and mechanical work within the dwelling premises that they own and occupy. Before beginning any work, the unlicensed person must first sign an affidavit stating that the applicant owns and occupies the structure and is responsible for conducting the work to code specifications, provide proof of ownership from Hays County Appraisal District and pay all required permit fees. Home owner exemptions do not apply to rental or commercial properties.

When applying for a permit as the home owner please ensure the Home Owners Exemption Affidavit is included with your permit application.

Copyright © 2016 - Dripping Springs, TX. USA

powered by ezTaskTitanium TM